As most of you are aware, I transferred to the college that I'm at now this past January. I also rushed within two weeks of being on campus, and pledged the best sorority ever (to me anyways ;)!)! Needless to say, I've been a full fledged, initiated member since April. So here's my delim - Our sorority is in vast need of an overhaul of sorts, and most of the members of the junior class are studying abroad in the next year, so they won't be able to be president. The office of president is really only between me, and another girl who is also supposed to be president of Panhellenic. Might I add, you can't be both. :) Numerous of the seniors, juniors, and members of my pledge class have approached me and asked if they nominated me if I'd accept. I am torn. I don't want to mess anything up, since I've only been here for 8 or so months, and I don't really know the ropes of being on Executive Council. I have planned numerous alumnae events for my sorority and have held a few different other leadership positions within the sorority and served on 29827394827 committees. I am extremely outgoing, and do a lot in the way of philanthropy events on campus and in the community. I just don't want to let anyone down. I feel honored that other sisters who have been in the chapter longer than me recognize my leadership capabilities, but then again, what if I mess up! AHH. I could always hold a Vice President position, but since I'll be a senior next year, it'll be my last year holding an office. :( -- Should I go for being president and just follow the books, which really hasn't been done all that much, and risk people getting mad at the change, or should I be vice president and worry about what might have been?!
Did anyone watch the CMA's last night? The stars all looked simply beautiful, and I must say, there's something that makes my heart flutter when I see a guy in a cowboy hat...
It's a rainy, cold day here in North Carolina -- I'm thinking a cup of hot chocolate and a movie are in store for my afternoon!
XoX,
SouthernBelle
Congrats to Blue-Eyed Bride on her pregnancy!! :):)
6 comments:
Here are my two cents:
I think if you think you can handle the responsibility and not buckle under pressure (ie--can be professional, aren't taking a really hard load, won't be needing to spend your time doing an internship, etc.) then you should be president. You should only do it though if you will do a thorough job and go by the books. Listen to your advisors, talk to headquarters, try and find those common bonds as sisters and cut the crap. My chapter went through something like this a few years ago. We were down to 15 girls (who were mostly out of control) and we needed to step up and overhaul ourselves. My best friend was the president (somewhat reluctantly), but she did us a world of good. I'm not going to lie to you--some girls de-sistered and plenty of others said petty and mean things and tried to undermine Exec. Still, it was totally worth it because the chapter came out so much stronger and closer. My chapter (although I'm now an alum) is at total and is doing amazing things.
I don't know what being president entails but I say go for it if they want to nominate you. Feel honored!
I was in my sorority for 1 month..not even an initiated member when I was made Vice President of Recruitment for NPC...incharge of ALL the chapters recruitment. The reason I got that was because I was NPC Delegate...and it was my Chapters turn to be VPR. I had the position for 2 weeks..it was WAY to much.
If you have ANY doubts about doing it...I wouldn't do it.
What are you? I'm an AOII.
I say go for it! But be honest, tell the other girls that you'll rely on them for some help.
I just found your blog from Puttin' on the Grits. I was heavily involved in my sorority and worked as a traveling consultant for them the year after I graduated! I say that your fresh and relatively new self will be full of great and unbiased decisions that may help the chapter, especially if it needs the change. We did an entire program for chapters similar to what seems like your chapter may be going through, trying to inspire someone to be that change. The seniors won't like it, but the freshmen next year and years to come will be thankful for the change.
If you're prepared and committed to it, I say do it! You'll have others that will follow and support you, especially advisors. Good luck!
I totally say go for it! The girls who served as president during my time at my sorority were fabulous. They were truly dedicated, but managed to still have fun and remembered that we were there for supporting each other first and foremost. If they are coming to you directly, they must all feel that you could be this person, which I'm sure you are! Plus, it's great to have something like this on a resume and for future connections. It could really open up some new doors for you in your life. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!
Post a Comment