5.21.2009

Skinny Bitch

Have any of y'all read "Skinny Bitch?" - I recently picked up a copy at the oh-so-fabulous B&N and haven't been able to put it down. I am one of those people that really doesn't care for red meat, I only like chicken, and could eat it at any meal. The way chickens are treated is disturbing and so very cruel... as an animal LOVER, I feel awful! Furthermore, cookies are my ultimate weakness. I LOVE cookies, chocolate chip, peanut butter, double chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, no-bake, you name it, I LOVE IT! Too bad sugar in it's most common form on our grocery shelves has no nutritional value and actually has been attributed to a plethora of health issues! I have struggled with staying healthy and in shape all my life. I have played with the idea of becoming a vegetarian a lot over the last few years, and reading this book has reaffirmed why. It is pretty disturbing what all is in the carcasses we eat, or the lack of minerals in the bread we gorge ourselves with. I have never been a big milk drinker, but it's no wonder that nowadays everyone is becoming more and more obese. Milk has the capability of having a 6lb baby turn into 24lbs over the course of a year, and milk has the same capabilities of doing this to an adult later in life... yuckkkk! Humans are the only animal that drink milk from another animal... odd! What's even worse is the government does little to protect us, and they don't monitor these slaughterhouses to see what exactly we all are eating... ahh! Are any of you vegans/vegetarians or have any insight on the topic? I'd love to hear what you all think!!

XOX,
SouthernBelle

4 comments:

Piper Jacquelyn said...

I'm not a vegetarian...sometimes I wish I could be, but I simply cannot give up meat! I start to crave it like a crazy person. But, I agree with everything you've said. It's pretty awful the way animals are treated and I've become very very picky about what I do consume.

I try to eat only organic, and only things that have been raised or produced within 500 miles of where I live. It's kinda tough, but supposedly a lot more natural and better for your body. Let us know what you choose to do - I have tons of friends that are vegetarian and will do the best I can to give you tips if you need them! Good luck!

Lis said...

Hey sweetie! I need your email and your initals when you get a sec so I can order your pay it forward gift! :) My email is: elisabethpeale@gmail.com

I'm so excited to order your gift!!

And I still need to check out this book. I am not a vegetarian but I just don't eat much meat (mainly chicken too) I just don't love it. Thanks for the review of the book - I'm going to check it out this week!! :)

kb said...

"Milk has the capability of having a 6lb baby turn into 24lbs over the course of a year, and milk has the same capabilities of doing this to an adult later in life... yuckkkk! "

even more reason why I do not drink milk.

How is being a vegan going? I think I love chicken and other animal products like eggs to much to do that.

Lis said...

:) Hey girl!!

I need your address when you get a second - I am dying to send your fabulous pay it forward gift to you!!! :)